problem fetching files from cfd server

From: Graham Allan
Subject: problem fetching files from cfd server
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2001 12:04:46 -0600

Been scratching my head for a little while over this... maybe it's something
simple, but I don't know what.

I'm setting up cfengine to copy files from master copies on a cfd server.
However, it doesn't seem to be working. I have it set to compare files
by checksum, and have cfd set to produce lots of debug output. There don't
seem to be any problems with cfd though; access is granted and it appears to
start sending the file (cfd output with -d3):

cfserver.umn.edu: Host cfclient.umn.edu granted access to /master/osf/etc/group
CfGetFile(/master/osf/etc/group on sd=6), size=357
Done with GetFile()
RecvSocketStream(4096)

The cfengine process appears to hang during this copy, however:

Checking copy from cfserver:/master/osf/etc/group to /etc/group
GetLock(copy,_physics_cfserver_master_osf_etc_group__etc_group,time=980528320),
ExpireAfter=120, IfElapsed=0
GetLastLock()
CheckOldLock()
SetLock(/var/run/cfengine/lock.cfengine_conf.cfclient.copy._physics_cfserver_master_osf_etc_group__etc_group)
cf_rstat(/master/osf/etc/group)
GetCachedStatData(/master/osf/etc/group)
Did not find in cache
RecvSocketStream(4096)
    (Concatenated 1460 from stream)
    (Concatenated 1460 from stream)
    (Concatenated 1176 from stream)
Mode = 420,0
OK: type=0
 mode=644
 lmode=0
 uid=0
 gid=0
 size=4393751544165
 atime=980463822
 mtime=979692078 ino=26 nlnk=1
RecvSocketStream(4096)
    (Concatenated 1460 from stream)
    (Concatenated 1460 from stream)
    (Concatenated 1176 from stream)
Linkbuffer: OK:
Directory for /etc/group exists. Okay
CheckImage (source=/master/osf/etc/group destination=/etc/group)
cf_rstat(/master/osf/etc/group)
GetCachedStatData(/master/osf/etc/group)
Found in cache
ImageCopy(/master/osf/etc/group,/etc/group,+0,-0)
IgnoredOrExcluded(/master/osf/etc/group)
Destination file /etc/group exists
CompareMD5CheckSums(/master/osf/etc/group,/etc/group)
File sizes differ, no need to compute checksum
cfengine:cfclient: Updating image /etc/group from master /master/osf/etc/group
on cfserver
CopyReg(/master/osf/etc/group,/etc/group)
This is a remote copy from server: cfserver
CopyRegNet(/master/osf/etc/group,/etc/group.cfnew,357) to socket 3
RecvSocketStream(512)
    (Concatenated 512 from stream)
RecvSocketStream(512)

... at which point one can just wait forever, it seems. What's odd is that
I do see files appear as (for example) /etc/group.cfnew:

ls -l /etc/group*
-rw-r--r--   1 root     system       357 Jan 12  2000 /etc/group
-rw-------   1 root     system       512 Jan 25 16:53 /etc/group.cfnew

although the size appears incorrect, the contents are ok. But then, the
debug output from cfengine also says "File sizes differ, no need to
compute checksum", which is just plain wrong; the file sizes *are* the same!

Running "cfengine -n" works fine; it can compare checksums without problem.

File updating from a local filesystem rather than cfd is also ok.

I'm just wondering if anyone might have seen this behavious before, and
know what causes it or can cure it...? I was running 1.6.0 on Tru64
(osf4.0f), and tried updating to 1.6.2 with no change seen. I can only
think it's some kind of build problem, but I've built it using both DEC
(Compaq) cc, and gcc, and apart from this, cfengine is working well.

Thanks,

Graham
Graham Allan - I.T. Manager - gta@umn.edu - (612) 624-5040
School of Physics and Astronomy - University of Minnesota