Re: find file changes

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: find file changes
Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2001 08:42:22 -0400

"Hermann Biller" <hb@imp.ch> writes:

> Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:
>> This is not cfengine's fault, it was the sunstaff's for not
>> checking the policy in advance!

> in fact it was my fault. in consequence i do not want to use
> cfengine in a way that configurations are done automatically
> (or "kept right" - see your answer above).

I have "minute" (both word meanings intentional) rules - check for
certain processes and restart if needed, for instance, running every
minute.  Those are rules that need to be executed continuously, but
have little sysadmin consequence.  They are also quick to execute and
involve no network activity.

I also have "daily" rules, which are run manually every day or so.
They are never run automatically, and they do most of the
editing/copying/etc. activity that could be disruptive to system users
or other administrators.  The daily rules are slow and may use the
network quite a bit.

This kind of split will probably suit you best.  It has worked out
wonderfully for our site.

Thanks
Ted