Re: timeouts, zombies, and shellcommands

From: Darrell Fuhriman
Subject: Re: timeouts, zombies, and shellcommands
Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2001 11:05:20 -0700

> Then, unless anybody suggests something else, I'd suggest hacking in
> some debug output or running through gdb to see what is happening,

Yah, I was hoping that someone knew about this already, so I wouldn't have
to do that.  It's going to be a pain because it's not attached to a terminal
when it runs.... but that's the way of the world...

The other thing I'm wondering is why, instead of waiting for a specific
PID, we don't just do a waitpid(-1), and see if the waited for process is
one we're looking for, or something else... something like this:

while((foo = waitpid(-1)) > 0) {
  remove_pid_from_list(foo)
  if (foo = wantedpid) {
    break
  }
}

Is there any plans for a followup to 1.6.3?  I'd like to add in a signal
handler so that timeouts actually function, but I'd like to have some
assurance that it will be included -- I hate maintaining local patches.  :)

Darrell