creating statically linked binaries

From: Morris, Katherine L.
Subject: creating statically linked binaries
Date: Thu, 18 Apr 2002 15:13:56 -0500

I'm attempting to compile 2.0.1 on Solaris 2.6 sun4m.  I'm having a similar
problem as the folks that I found in the archives that had discussed this
before.  Basically, my compile environment is much richer than my production
environment.  I find that I need to be able to compile cfengine as stand
alone executables rather than being able to distribute BerkeleyDB4.0 and
openssl to all of my systems for two reasons:

1) It's easier to manage one set of executables across multiple platforms
and architectures than 3 different packages.
2) In the long run, there will be less disk space utilized by a slightly
fatter cfengine than to have all of the supporting packages installed
"properly".

My first attempt at setting LDFLAGS="-static" failed miserably.  I then
tried the two suggestions that I found in the archives, but first let me say
that while I did attend "C++ for non-C programmers" I'm not a C++ programmer
by a long stretch (besides they didn't teach me anything about compile real
apps in that class anyway). ;))

At any rate, while I did manage to get a fatter executable, I have not been
able to get cfenvd to run on a system that does not have the libraries
installed.

First I tried:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&threadm=Pine.LNX.4.30.0112281017370.98
1-100000%40loco.packetpushers.com&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dcfengine%2Bstati
c%2Bcompile%26hl%3Den%26selm%3DPine.LNX.4.30.0112281017370.981-100000%2540lo
co.packetpushers.com%26rnum%3D1

This did seem to make any difference for me at all... but now I'm realizing
I edited the Makefile rather than the configure file.  I'll have to try this
one again...

This one gave me the fatter executable, but still won't run:

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=cfengine+static+compile&hl=en&selm=webwuvg
3mmw.fsf%40jlab.org&rnum=2

Here's the error:

ld.so.1: /opt/cfengine/sbin/cfenvd: fatal: relocation error: file
/opt/cfengine/sbin/cfenvd: symbol open64: referenced symbol not found
Killed

Any sage wisdom, advice would be greatly appreciated.