Re: dealing with multiple domains

From: Chris Edillon
Subject: Re: dealing with multiple domains
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:43:05 -0400 (GMT+4)

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> This is an odd discussion. It's a chick-egg scenario. New hosts
> have no /etc/resolv.conf so cfengine usually sets them based on the
> definition of domain, so it certainly makes no sense to set the
> domain based on what /etc/resolv.conf contains.
>
> Why not just do this?
>
> classes:
>
>  subdom1 = ( 128_39_89 128_39_74 128_39_75 )                   #
> 128.39.89.0/24 || 128.39.74.0/23
>
>  subdom2 = ( 128_39_73_1 128_39_73_2 128_39_73_3 128_39_73_4 ) # 128.39.73.0/4
>
> control:
>

>  subdom1::
>
>    domain = ( domain1 )
>
>  subdom2::
>
>    domain = ( domain2 )

  i like the idea in theory, but it wouldn't have worked in our
environment.  the organization i've been supporting recently includes
a large number of networks (hundreds) subnetted at /24 or off-octet
(/25-/27).  it also controlled its own internal DNS, from a root
server down.  all of the machines running cfengine were in varying
domains, and sometimes machines on the same subnet would belong to
different domains.  enumerating all of the possibilities and then
maintaining them would have been a major headache, so something like
the above wouldn't have been an optimal solution.  we ended up using
editfiles: to create and maintain resolv.conf on each host, using a
predetermined search directive which contained all of the domains
most requested.  since the search directive is really only useful
to humans wanting to type in a non-qualified hostname, this ended
up being good enough for our user base and so good enough for us.

chris