cfengine and isconf integration

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: cfengine and isconf integration
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 21:54:41 -0600 (CST)

I'm cross posting this, because it's notice of integration and thus of
interest to multiple groups.

I have just checked my ISconf cfengine module into CVS for ISconf 3 on
sourceforge; you can get it at http://sourceforge.net/projects/isconf.

It allows types defined in ISconf to be used as cfengine classes, and
classes defined in cfengine to be used as ISconf types.  You have to
decide when you want to import the ISconf types, depending on whether you
want to use the ISconf types throughout your config, or whether you're
more interested in setting all of the classes in cfengine and using
them later in ISconf.

If you don't need to pass arbitrary variables to ISconf, small
modifications to the module would actually allow you to do away with the
hosts file in ISconf, such that you stored the equivalent information in
cfengine instead.

If you aren't using the new Parse::Yapp parser, then there's a possibility
that you have ISconf types that aren't valid cfengine classes, so you'll
have to upgrade if you want this integration.

I'm already using this in production to normalize this class information;
hopefully anyone already using or interested in using these tools will
find this useful.  I think they work pretty well together.

I'm hoping to eventually integrate ISconf more closely with cfengine by
doing things like modifying the ISconf 'fileset' command to use cfengine
as a copy mechanism, and replace the modechk script.

If anyone has any questions, compliments, or concerns, please email me.

Thanks,
Luke

--
A Chemical Limerick: