Re: DefineInGroup

From: Alexander Mattausch
Subject: Re: DefineInGroup
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 11:45:46 +0100

Andrew Stribblehill schrieb:

Quoting Mark Burgess <mark@iu.hio.no> (2003-02-26 08:43:24 GMT):
This sounds like a nice idea, but I need to look over this patch
carefully...soon.

I was more concerned about the possibility that this extra feature
may in some way break convergence. I don't _think_ it does, but I
have a nagging doubt.

Well, it increases the flexibility enormously, but can also make editfile-scripts much more complex and dangerous, if you do things like this (provided, the defined class becomes active immediately):

{ /etc/something
  BeginGroupIf...
     some commands
     DefineInGroup "changed_A"
  EndGroup
  BeginGroupIfDefined "changed_A"
    more commands
  EndGroup
}

It allows you to conditionally edit a file. Of course, you are able to program it in a way so that the file is always edited (this breaks the convergence criterion), but you were also able to do so with subsequent copy and editfiles statements. I think this should lie in the responsibility of the admin, since it provides new and very powerful editing possibilities.

Regards,
Alex