Re: file modification

From: J . K . Wight
Subject: Re: file modification
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2003 08:41:15 +0000

Debbie Brown writes:
> Several of our desktops have customized config files (/etc/system for
> example).  I would like to have a group of files (i.e. file1) that only
> contain the lines that are unique for these config files (i.e. file2); each
> file will be unique to the system it updates.  Any admin can update this
> group of files & they don't have to have cfengine knowledge.  Basically,
> these files are like a template that contains the special additions that need
> to be added to certain files on the system.

I handle these sorts of situations, where the additions can be grouped
together, like this:

        { /etc/sysconfig/iptables

          EmptyEntireFilePlease
          InsertLine    "*filter"
          InsertFile    "/local/etc/iptables.d/iptables"
          InsertFile    "/local/etc/iptables.d/iptables.$(host)"
          InsertLine    "COMMIT"
          DefineClasses "doiptables"
        }

I do it on every machine. It doesn't matter if iptables.$(host)
doesn't exist for some machines.

Jim