Re: Problems with Editfiles and Creating File

From: Andrew Stribblehill
Subject: Re: Problems with Editfiles and Creating File
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 10:22:55 +0000

Quoting Brian E. Seppanen <seppy@chartermi.net> (2003-03-26 06:24:25 GMT):
> I'm running cfengine 2.0.5pre2. and I'm having a problem with a file being
> created using cfengine.   Basically I get the following output when
> running cfengine, and the file is never created.   What might I be
> missing?
>
> cfengine:host:in/cfagent -f /: cfengine:host:in/cfagent -v -:
> cfengine:host: Lock
> lock._var_cfengine_inputs_cf_host.host.editfile._tmp_procmailrc
> expired...(after 2/2 minutes)
> cfengine:host:in/cfagent -f /:
> cfengine:host:in/cfagent -v -: Trying to kill expired proc

See what cfagent -v gives you, and possibly also dabble with the
-d options (args 1, 2 and 3 work).

However, I've tested that snippet you sent and it works fine on
2.0.6b1-ads1
(http://www.dur.ac.uk/a.d.stribblehill/cfengine/2.0.6b1-ads1.diff)
and probably on 2.0.6b1.

I know there were problems with the line pointer being NULL on an
empty file, that we cleared up after 2.0.5 was released.

>         { /tmp/procmailrc
>                 Syslog "true"
>                 Umask 640
>                 AutoCreate
>                 BeginGroupIfNoMatch "VERBOSE=off"
>                         IncrementPointer "-1"
>                         InsertLine "VERBOSE=off"
>                         InsertLine "MAILDIR=/home/test/mail"
>                 EndGroup
>         }

When run without a /tmp/procmailrc, it creates the obvious:

$ cat /tmp/procmailrc
VERBOSE=off
MAILDIR=/home/test/mail

When I put the following into /tmp/procmailrc:

I wandered lonely as a cloud
That gyred and gimbled in the wabe.

the following was created:

I wandered lonely as a cloud
VERBOSE=off
MAILDIR=/home/test/mail
That gyred and gimbled in the wabe.

However, because VERBOSE=off doesn't go into the first line, your
script isn't convergent.

--
FORTIES CROMARTY
VARIABLE BECOMING SOUTHERLY 3 OR 4. RAIN IN NORTH. MODERATE OR POOR