Re: RPMS or RPM Spec file for cfengine?

From: Juha Ylitalo
Subject: Re: RPMS or RPM Spec file for cfengine?
Date: 22 Apr 2003 09:13:50 +0300

On Fri, 2003-04-18 at 21:37, ext mark@iu.hio.no wrote:
> I would be happy to make rpms and debs if someone gave me a simple
> way of doing it. Perhaps someone else could maintain it on the
> Savannah site. I don't use these myself,  being somewhat closer
> to cfengine :).

Having separate project for single spec file (in RPMS case) sounds like
bit overkill. Of course if one could transform it into more generic
cfengine packaging project, which would be the source for FreeBSD ports,
NetBSD pkgsrc, Debian's deb packages, ...
At the same time it would require that those systems maintainers would
actually start using it, since it would be pointless (and probably
confusing for users) to offer cfengine as package for platform xyz in
savannah, while the platform xyz has separate maintainer for cfengine,
whose packaging it in someother fashion.

What comes to generating cfengine RPM, there are pretty much two
options. One is to provide spec file and leave it on that. Other
solution requires that you have spec file, ~/.rpmmacros telling where
your RPM building environment is and bunch of directory in that building
environment. Once all those are in place, you can build those packages
with one single command and use another command to put GPG signatures on
them.

Unless your planning to use those RPM packages by yourself, its probably
safest to just distribute spec file and leave rest for admins, who
locally deploy cfengine. I've attached Fedora's spec file for cfengine
as attachment on this one. It builds cfengine and adds /etc/init.d
scripts for cfexecd and cfservd (I guess I should add one for cfenvd as
well, but ...). If someone notices any errors in it, please file bugs
into http://bugzilla.fedora.us/, so that we'll get them fixed.

--
Juha Ylitalo       juha.o.ylitalo@nokia.com           <work e-mail>
+358 40 562 6152   http://linux.nokia.com/~jylitalo/  <work www>