Syslogging alerts?

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Syslogging alerts?
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:26:21 -0500

I have a kludgey alert system in place-- I define a class ("complain"), which causes a shellscript to kick off that analyzes $CFALLCLASSES and generates appropriate notifications (turning on lights in NMS, sending out emails/pages, etc). This works fine, but seems like it should not be neccessary given that cfengine supports an "alerts:'"section. Unfortunately, I haven't seen a good way to get an alert to go to syslog instead of stdout-- just ugly hacks like redirecting cfengine output. The syslog() option in control: seems to be ignored by alerts... Am I missing something?

If not, then maybe we could put that down as a feature request-- an option that can be added to alerts that would allow you to send alert messages to syslog (at a specific priority) so that my network monitoring system can handle it. Or, at the least, send a copy of the alert to syslog if Syslog( on ) is set....