Re: Setting a variable from a shellcommand

From: Martin A. Brooks
Subject: Re: Setting a variable from a shellcommand
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 18:47:28 +0100

At 12:31 21/10/2003 -0500, you wrote:

I may be obtuse, but short of writing a module how can I set a cfengine variable from the output of a shellcommand? I could have sworn I've seen it done before, but I can't find it.

I want to do set a variable (call it $(my_ypserver)) to the output of the /usr/bin/ypwhich command. A module seems like overkill for this....

I have a lot of lines like this:

FailoverKey = ( ExecResult(/bin/cat /var/cfengine/inputs/keys/failover.pubkey) )

Seems to work fine, though I bet there's a more efficient way of doing it.

Regards

Martin A. Brooks, Clues Ltd.
http://www.clues.ltd.uk/