Cfservd wants physical paths

From: Robert Cantu
Subject: Cfservd wants physical paths
Date: Fri, 14 Nov 2003 16:16:40 -0600

I'm having trouble with cfservd allowing a host to copy a file from the server where the file resides in a directory that has at least one symlink in it's path.

Example:

cfservd.conf
grant:
    /var/cfengine/inputs        <ip list>
      encrypt=true

/var/cfengine/inputs is a symlink to somewhere else, let's say, /usr/local/foo, which is also a symlink for /usr/local/bar. cfagent running on the client machine connects and gets all the trusted keys right, but it still says "Host authentication failed. Did you forget the domain name?" when it hits the copy in update.conf. Back on the server machine, with the Syslog = ( on ), cfservd logs the following for the relevant request for copying cfagent.conf:

Nov 14 16:05:14 server cfservd[22716]: From (host=client.bar.com user=root,ip=192.168.20.40) Nov 14 16:05:14 server cfservd[22716]: ID from connecting host: (SYNCH 1068804314 STAT /var/cfengine/inputs/cfservd.conf) Nov 14 16:05:14 server cfservd[22716]: Host client.bar.com denied access to /usr/local/bar/cfagent.conf Nov 14 16:05:14 server cfservd[22716]: Host authorization/authentication failed or access denied

It seems that cfservd wants the absolute physical path (much like pwd -P in bash). When I use the physical path in the grant section instead of /var/cfengine/inputs, the cfagent doesn't even get access to try to copy since it's requesting /var/cfengine/inputs/cfagent.conf, but it's not in the grant: section. The only way I've gotten this to work is to have grant: for both /var/cfengine/inputs and /usr/local/bar.

Is there any way to have cfservd not care about symlinks in the admit|grant sections? Please CC my email so that I can view replys, thanks.

Robert Cantu
robert@artistictech.net