Re: Editfiles Considered Harmful (was: Re: Complex Editfiles Examples)

From: Eric Sorenson
Subject: Re: Editfiles Considered Harmful (was: Re: Complex Editfiles Examples)
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 09:12:10 -0800 (PST)

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003, Chip Seraphine wrote:

> I've found that for controlling only specific parts of a file while allowing
> unrestricted change in other parts, editfiles is my tool of choice (warts and
> all.)

Ok, I can understand and accept this.  I would point out though that those
parts of the file which you don't control may obviate any changes you
make in the parts you do. In sshd_config for example, if "include this other
file over here", "stop processing now", "ignore any directives below this
line", etc, could appear before your careful edits...

Certainly it's true that preserving or working around local changes is
a point in edtifiles favor.

--

    Eric Sorenson - EXPLOSIVE Networking - http://explosive.net