Re: Bootstrapping

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: Bootstrapping
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 13:12:59 -0600 (CST)

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> I do not know how to bind an outgoing connection to a specific IP
> address. Tell me how it is done and I will help.

Hi Mark,

I pretty cavalierly assumed this was possible, and yet I can't find any
evidence that it is.  Most likely even if it is possible it's not portable
or easy.

I don't really know what a good solution is, frankly, which is why I
haven't even looked at trying to submit a patch.  The problem of
authenticating a host that can report different names and addresses is not
easy.  The only solution I can really think of is to have the same set of
keys on multiple hosts.

It would be nice to be able to explicitly run cfagent in a way that it
knows it's on a terminal, such that it asks you whether you want to trust
an unknown host, similar to what ssh does.  There are a couple of ways to
deal with it, but we as a community need to establish a best-practice
method of getting all the keys right, and then modify cfengine if
necessary to better support that method.

Luke

--
I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us
with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.