Re: keeping mtimes in sync

From: rader
Subject: Re: keeping mtimes in sync
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 14:04:57 -0600

 > What problem are you trying to solve?

I want to keep destination mtimes in sync with source mtimes.

After thinking about it more, I've decided I'm worrying about a
non-issue: if the destination mtime changes, then almost all (?) of
the time the dest checksum changes too.  So using type=checksum
will keep the src and dest in sync (with the no-so-notable exception
that using touch can make them become out of sync.)

In other words, my testing methodology--using touch--caused me
to worry about type=mtime or whatever a bit too much.  There's an
interesting human engineering "trust" issue involved with rolling
out cfengine, imo.

Thanks!

steve
- - -