Problem compiling cfengine-2.1.3 on Solaris9

From: HAYESE
Subject: Problem compiling cfengine-2.1.3 on Solaris9
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 10:54:58 -0500

----- Forwarded by Edwin D Hayes/Nationwide/NWIE on 03/17/04 10:54 AM -----

                          Ed Hayes

                          UNIX SA                  To:   help-cfengine@gnu.org

                          Technology Solutions     cc:

                          Phone: 677-5603          bcc:

                          Fax: 249-2601            Subject:
                     Problem compiling cfengine-2.1.3
                          01-04-33                 on Solaris9

                          03/17/04 10:43 AM

This is my first install of Cfengine, and I'm probably making a ton of
misstakes. See my attached "config.log".

Ref:  Solaris9, Sunblade 100 with 1 cpu, running 64-bit sparcv9 kernel
modules, gcc 3.3

Fatal errors from config.log:

ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
ld: fatal: library -lfl: not found
ld: fatal: File processing errors. No output written to conftest
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest

config.log files:

| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char pstat_getdynamic ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined (__stub_pstat_getdynamic) || defined
(__stub___pstat_getdynamic)
| choke me
| #else
| char (*f) () = pstat_getdynamic;
| #endif
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| }
| #endif
|
| int
| main ()
| {
| return f != pstat_getdynamic;
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:5395: result: no
configure:5408: checking for kstat_open in -lkstat
configure:5438: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lkstat   >&5
configure:5444: $? = 0
configure:5448: test -z
 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:5451: $? = 0
configure:5454: test -s conftest
configure:5457: $? = 0
configure:5470: result: yes
configure:5780: checking for getloadavg
configure:5837: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lkstat  >&5
configure:5843: $? = 0
configure:5847: test -z
 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:5850: $? = 0
configure:5853: test -s conftest
configure:5856: $? = 0
configure:5868: result: yes
configure:7094: checking whether getloadavg requires setgid
In file included from conftest.c:23:
pub/getloadavg.c:77:25: ../src/conf.h: No such file or directory
configure:7119: result: no
configure:7164: checking for latex
configure:7196: result: false
configure:7205: checking for texi2dvi
configure:7237: result: false
configure:7246: checking for dvips
configure:7278: result: false
configure:7287: checking for makeinfo
configure:7319: result: false
configure:7328: checking for ps2pdf
configure:7360: result: false
configure:7370: checking for main in -lm
configure:7394: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lm   >&5
configure:7400: $? = 0
configure:7404: test -z
 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:7407: $? = 0
configure:7410: test -s conftest
configure:7413: $? = 0
configure:7426: result: yes
configure:7437: checking for door_create
configure:7494: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lm  >&5
door_create                         /var/tmp//ccMOw9zA.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7500: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "cfengine"
| #define VERSION "2.1.3"
| #define HAVE_PTHREAD 1
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIBKSTAT 1
| #define HAVE_GETLOADAVG 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| /* Define door_create to an innocuous variant, in case <limits.h>
declares door_create.
|    For example, HP-UX 11i <limits.h> declares gettimeofday.  */
| #define door_create innocuous_door_create
|
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
|     which can conflict with char door_create (); below.
|     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
|     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
|
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
|
| #undef door_create
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| {
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char door_create ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined (__stub_door_create) || defined (__stub___door_create)
| choke me
| #else
| char (*f) () = door_create;
| #endif
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| }
| #endif
|
| int
| main ()
| {
| return f != door_create;
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:7525: result: no
configure:7531: checking for setsockopt
configure:7588: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lm  >&5
setsockopt                          /var/tmp//cc856EXP.o
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7594: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "cfengine"
| #define VERSION "2.1.3"
| #define HAVE_PTHREAD 1
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIBKSTAT 1
| #define HAVE_GETLOADAVG 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| /* Define setsockopt to an innocuous variant, in case <limits.h> declares
setsockopt.
|    For example, HP-UX 11i <limits.h> declares gettimeofday.  */
| #define setsockopt innocuous_setsockopt
|
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
|     which can conflict with char setsockopt (); below.
|     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
|     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
|
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
|
| #undef setsockopt
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| {
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char setsockopt ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined (__stub_setsockopt) || defined (__stub___setsockopt)
| choke me
| #else
| char (*f) () = setsockopt;
| #endif
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| }
| #endif
|
| int
| main ()
| {
| return f != setsockopt;
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:7619: result: no
configure:7625: checking for setsockopt in -lsocket
configure:7655: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lsocket  -lm  >&5
configure:7661: $? = 0
configure:7665: test -z
 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:7668: $? = 0
configure:7671: test -s conftest
configure:7674: $? = 0
configure:7687: result: yes
configure:7700: checking for gethostent
configure:7757: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lsocket -lm  >&5
gethostent                          /var/tmp//cc2bb7eF.o  (symbol belongs
to implicit dependency /usr/lib/libnsl.so.1)
ld: fatal: Symbol referencing errors. No output written to conftest
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:7763: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| /* confdefs.h.  */
|
| #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "cfengine"
| #define VERSION "2.1.3"
| #define HAVE_PTHREAD 1
| #define STDC_HEADERS 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_TYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_SYS_STAT_H 1
| #define HAVE_STDLIB_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRING_H 1
| #define HAVE_MEMORY_H 1
| #define HAVE_STRINGS_H 1
| #define HAVE_INTTYPES_H 1
| #define HAVE_UNISTD_H 1
| #define HAVE_LIBKSTAT 1
| #define HAVE_GETLOADAVG 1
| #define HAVE_LIBM 1
| #define HAVE_LIBSOCKET 1
| /* end confdefs.h.  */
| /* Define gethostent to an innocuous variant, in case <limits.h> declares
gethostent.
|    For example, HP-UX 11i <limits.h> declares gettimeofday.  */
| #define gethostent innocuous_gethostent
|
| /* System header to define __stub macros and hopefully few prototypes,
|     which can conflict with char gethostent (); below.
|     Prefer <limits.h> to <assert.h> if __STDC__ is defined, since
|     <limits.h> exists even on freestanding compilers.  */
|
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
|
| #undef gethostent
|
| /* Override any gcc2 internal prototype to avoid an error.  */
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| extern "C"
| {
| #endif
| /* We use char because int might match the return type of a gcc2
|    builtin and then its argument prototype would still apply.  */
| char gethostent ();
| /* The GNU C library defines this for functions which it implements
|     to always fail with ENOSYS.  Some functions are actually named
|     something starting with __ and the normal name is an alias.  */
| #if defined (__stub_gethostent) || defined (__stub___gethostent)
| choke me
| #else
| char (*f) () = gethostent;
| #endif
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| }
| #endif
|
| int
| main ()
| {
| return f != gethostent;
|   ;
|   return 0;
| }
configure:7788: result: no
configure:7794: checking for gethostent in -lnsl
configure:7824: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lnsl  -lsocket -lm
  >&5
configure:7830: $? = 0
configure:7834: test -z
 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:7837: $? = 0
configure:7840: test -s conftest
configure:7843: $? = 0
configure:7856: result: yes
configure:7869: checking for getaddrinfo
configure:7926: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lnsl -lsocket -lm
 >&5
configure:7932: $? = 0
configure:7936: test -z
 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:7939: $? = 0
configure:7942: test -s conftest
configure:7945: $? = 0
configure:7957: result: yes
configure:8040: checking for library containing socket
configure:8070: gcc -o conftest -D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2 -D_REENTRANT
-pthreads    conftest.c -lnsl -lsocket -lm
 >&5
configure:8076: $? = 0
configure:8080: test -z
 || test ! -s conftest.err
configure:8083: $? = 0
configure:8086: test -s conftest
configure:8089: $? = 0
configure:8159: result: none required
configure:8246: checking for BerkeleyDB location
configure:8421: error: Cannot find BerkeleyDB

## ---------------- ##
## Cache variables. ##
## ---------------- ##

ac_cv_build=sparc-sun-solaris2.9
ac_cv_build_alias=sparc-sun-solaris2.9
ac_cv_c_compiler_gnu=yes
ac_cv_env_CC_set=
ac_cv_env_CC_value=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_CPPFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_CPP_set=
ac_cv_env_CPP_value=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_set=
ac_cv_env_LDFLAGS_value=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_build_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_host_alias_value=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_set=
ac_cv_env_target_alias_value=
ac_cv_exeext=
ac_cv_func_door_create=no
ac_cv_func_getaddrinfo=yes
ac_cv_func_gethostent=no
ac_cv_func_getloadavg=yes
ac_cv_func_getloadavg_setgid=no
ac_cv_func_pstat_getdynamic=no
ac_cv_func_setsockopt=no
ac_cv_header_inttypes_h=yes
ac_cv_header_memory_h=yes
ac_cv_header_stdc=yes
ac_cv_header_stdint_h=no
ac_cv_header_stdlib_h=yes
ac_cv_header_string_h=yes
ac_cv_header_strings_h=yes
ac_cv_header_sys_stat_h=yes
ac_cv_header_sys_types_h=yes
ac_cv_header_unistd_h=yes
ac_cv_host=sparc-sun-solaris2.9
ac_cv_host_alias=sparc-sun-solaris2.9
ac_cv_lib_fl_yywrap=no
ac_cv_lib_kstat_kstat_open=yes
ac_cv_lib_l_yywrap=yes
ac_cv_lib_m_main=yes
ac_cv_lib_nsl_gethostent=yes
ac_cv_lib_socket_setsockopt=yes
ac_cv_objext=o
ac_cv_path_DVIPS=false
ac_cv_path_LATEX=false
ac_cv_path_MAKEINFO=false
ac_cv_path_PS2PDF=false
ac_cv_path_TEXI2DVI=false
ac_cv_prog_AWK=nawk
ac_cv_prog_CPP=$'gcc -E'
ac_cv_prog_PTHREAD_CC=gcc
ac_cv_prog_ac_ct_CC=gcc
ac_cv_prog_ac_ct_RANLIB=:
ac_cv_prog_cc_g=yes
ac_cv_prog_cc_stdc=
ac_cv_prog_egrep=egrep
ac_cv_prog_make_make_set=no
ac_cv_search_socket=$'none required'
ac_cv_target=sparc-sun-solaris2.9
ac_cv_target_alias=sparc-sun-solaris2.9
am_cv_CC_dependencies_compiler_type=none

## ----------------- ##
## Output variables. ##
## ----------------- ##

ACLOCAL='${SHELL} /sa/cfengine-2.1.3/missing --run aclocal-1.8'
AMDEPBACKSLASH='\'
AMDEP_FALSE='#'
AMDEP_TRUE=''
AMTAR='${SHELL} /sa/cfengine-2.1.3/missing --run tar'
AUTOCONF='${SHELL} /sa/cfengine-2.1.3/missing --run autoconf'
AUTOHEADER='${SHELL} /sa/cfengine-2.1.3/missing --run autoheader'
AUTOMAKE='${SHELL} /sa/cfengine-2.1.3/missing --run automake-1.8'
AWK='nawk'
BERKELEY_DB_CFLAGS=''
BERKELEY_DB_LDFLAGS=''
BERKELEY_DB_LIB=''
CC='gcc'
CCDEPMODE='depmode=none'
CFLAGS='-D_REENTRANT -pthreads -g -O2'
CPP='gcc -E'
CPPFLAGS='-D_REENTRANT -pthreads '
CYGPATH_W='echo'
DEFS=''
DEPDIR='.deps'
DVIPS='false'
ECHO_C=''
ECHO_N='-n'
ECHO_T=''
EGREP='egrep'
EIGHTBIT=''
EXEEXT=''
GCC_CFLAG=''
GETLOADAVG_LIBS='-lkstat '
HOSTNAME='superman'
INSTALL_DATA='${INSTALL} -m 644'
INSTALL_PROGRAM='${INSTALL}'
INSTALL_SCRIPT='${INSTALL}'
INSTALL_STRIP_PROGRAM='${SHELL} $(install_sh) -c -s'
KMEM_GROUP=''
LATEX='false'
LDFLAGS=' '
LEX='${SHELL} /sa/cfengine-2.1.3/missing --run flex'
LEXLIB='-ll'
LEX_OUTPUT_ROOT=''
LIBOBJS=''
LIBS='-lnsl -lsocket -lm '
LTLIBOBJS=''
MAKEINFO='false'
NEED_SETGID='false'
NOWRAP=''
OBJEXT='o'
OPENSSL_LIB_CPPFLAGS=''
OPENSSL_LIB_LDFLAGS=''
OPENSSL_LIB_LIB=''
PACKAGE='cfengine'
PACKAGE_BUGREPORT=''
PACKAGE_NAME=''
PACKAGE_STRING=''
PACKAGE_TARNAME=''
PACKAGE_VERSION=''
PATH_SEPARATOR=':'
PS2PDF='false'
PTHREAD_CC='gcc'
PTHREAD_CFLAGS='-D_REENTRANT -pthreads'
PTHREAD_CPPFLAGS='-D_REENTRANT -pthreads'
PTHREAD_LIBS=''
RANLIB=':'
SET_MAKE='MAKE=make'
SHELL='/bin/bash'
STRIP=''
TEXI2DVI='false'
VERSION='2.1.3'
YACC='yacc'
ac_ct_CC='gcc'
ac_ct_RANLIB=':'
ac_ct_STRIP=''
am__fastdepCC_FALSE=''
am__fastdepCC_TRUE='#'
am__include='#'
am__leading_dot='.'
am__quote=''
bindir='${exec_prefix}/bin'
build='sparc-sun-solaris2.9'
build_alias=''
build_cpu='sparc'
build_os='solaris2.9'
build_vendor='sun'
datadir='${prefix}/share'
exec_prefix='NONE'
host='sparc-sun-solaris2.9'
host_alias=''
host_cpu='sparc'
host_os='solaris2.9'
host_vendor='sun'
includedir='${prefix}/include'
infodir='${prefix}/info'
install_sh='/sa/cfengine-2.1.3/install-sh'
libdir='${exec_prefix}/lib'
libexecdir='${exec_prefix}/libexec'
localstatedir='${prefix}/var'
mandir='${prefix}/man'