Re: The cf_lastseen.db file

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: The cf_lastseen.db file
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 2004 16:50:42 -0500

Cool!  FriendStatus() looks like exactly what I want, but I can't find an
example of it in use.

The Reference says that it "displays a message if hosts that normally have a
cfengine protocol connection with the current host have not connected for
more than than specified number of hours", which is perfect.

I do have a couple of questions on it, though:   First, how does it determines
that a host "normally" has a connection?  Should I be somehow providing it
with a list?  Does it start watching for a given host after the first time it
sees it connect?

Secondly, how can I get the name of the host that generates the alert?  I am
assuming that my alert will simply contain the alert string, as per usual,
which will alert me to the fact that *something* is late, but not exactly
who.

Forgive me for firing of questions to the list right away, but the nature of
this animal seems to make exploratory testing somewhat tricky.  You mentioned
something about an advanced tutorial that might cover FriendStatus in a post
last April (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/help-cfengine/2004-04/
msg00110.html), but I couldn't find it....

On Wednesday 09 June 2004 16:16, Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no wrote:

> To extract data you can use the FriendStatus() function in cfengine.
> To write your own stuff, you need to use the lastseen struct
> in cf.defs.h. Look at the code in ip.c for the friendstatus
> function and just copy it. berkeley does not have schema - just
> raw data.

> On  9 Jun, Chip Seraphine wrote:
> >
> > I'm in a situation where it would be very useful to get cruncheable data
out
> > of cf_lastseen.db, but I am rather Berkeley ignorant.  Any good tricks/
tools
> > out there for doing this?   Is there a schema or something I should be
> > looking at?

> Work: +47 22453272            Email:  Mark.Burgess@iu.hio.no
> Fax : +47 22453205            WWW  :  http://www.iu.hio.no/~mark

Chip Seraphine