Re: binding server address

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: binding server address
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:41:13 +1000 (EST)

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004, Kerissa Varma \(K\) wrote:

> Hi there
>
> I'm generally new to CFEngine and networking in generally. I'm trying
> to test cfengine on two sun boxes with solaris (version 8) running on
> them. I've configured cfengine on the master and I'm ablle to use it
> on a single host, but when trying to run cfengine on the master server
> with another pc configured with cfengine as well, I get the error:
> " Can not bind server address
> Server address already in use"
>
> I have no idea what this means???
> Could someone please help me out.

        TCP has a bunch of ports.  Servers can listen on ports, but only
one server can listen on a port at any one time.  This error usually
occurs if you try to listen on a port that is already in use.

        More technical explanation of the above:
http://hea-www.harvard.edu/~fine/Tech/addrinuse.html

        Now, to how the error message applies to your problem, that I
don't know.  Under Linux I'd use tools like netstat (with the -ldptun
options) and lsof to find out what was listening on that port, and ensure
that there was no conflict.  But I don't know how to do this on Solaris.
Have another go at it, and if you can't figure it out between you and
Google, maybe a Solaris person on the list could give you a hand if you
let us know what you've already tried (see
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html for how to ensure that
you've included all the information we want).

        Thanks,

--
Tim Nelson
Systems Administrator