Re: Use of editfile to support templated configuration files

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Use of editfile to support templated configuration files
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 16:41:01 +1100 (EST)

On Wed, 15 Dec 2004, Jamie Wilkinson wrote:

This one time, at band camp, wbmccarty@gmail.com wrote:
Each managed service must have several related cfengine script lines,
which occur in various sections, such as shellcommands and processes.
And, each stanza of script lines consists of perhaps half a dozen or
more lines. If you want to manage several dozen services, this entails
quite a few lines of cfengine script code. I prefer concise code, where
possible. So, I'm working on a way to automatically generate the
necessary cfengine script lines.

Ok, you twisted my arm; everything you wrote is pretty much the same reason
I came up with my macros.

http://anchor.net.au/~jaq/cfm4.tar.gz

Ooh, excitement :). I'm in the process of putting together my Perl templates which cut down on repetition in cfengine code :). The perl is embedded using Text::Template, with <? ?> as the delimiters, so it kinda looks like PHP (or Mason, if you're familiar with that), but generates cfengine code. It also allows embedding of pod-style doco in the source files, which are extracted and placed in HTML files somewhere.

        :)

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator