copying files back to the server

From: Erik Dykema
Subject: copying files back to the server
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:43:26 -0500

Hi-
I have an interesting problem which I haven't been able to find the answer to in the documentation... I have a fairly typical setup where there is a 'master' server and a number of 'slave' servers, which update and get configuration data from the master. The slaves also run scripts and produce output files (for example "up2date -u > /output/hostnameoutput.txt"). I'd like an easy way to get this output file back to the master, for processing by a web server. I figured out how to do it by exporting the file via NFS on the slaves, or by exporting a Read/Write directory on the master, or by means of some webserver tricks, but what I'd really like to do is something like a copy statement of the following:

# Imaginary code tidbit

slavehostnames = ( slave1 slave2 slave3 )

copy:
        masterserver::
                /output/$(slavehostnames)output.txt
                        dest=/from_slaves/$(slavehostnames)output.txt
                        server= slavehostnames

# End imaginary code

Which would cause the master server to copy from the slave servers their files, such that it would copy:

        from slave1 /output/slave1output.txt to /from_slaves/slave1output.txt
        from slave2 /output/slave1output.txt to /from_slaves/slave2output.txt
        from slave3 /output/slave1output.txt to /from_slaves/slave3output.txt

        Does this make sense?  Can it be done?

thanks,
Erik