Re: Step by Step Startup ??

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Step by Step Startup ??
Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2005 15:46:26 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, David Masterson wrote:

Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> 02/21/05 05:20PM >>>
        While we're plugging books, Mark's book has a cfengine section
too: "Principles of Network and Systems Administration" (2nd Ed), Mark
Burgess.

        I'm also working on a package that you can install that will be
all the basic cfengine files needed on the cfengine master.  That should
hopefully help fill the gap a little too.

        I'm not sure if either of the above are what you need (since I'm
not sure what you need), but I thought I'd at least mention them.

        :)
Tim Nelson <architect@webalive.biz> 02/21/05 05:20PM >>>

Thanks for the info.  What I'm thinking of is:

1. Download CFEngine (I had problems finding the download location from
cfengine.org).
2. untar, configure, and make install (this is documented, but could be moved up to a
"Quick Start" section).
3. Do "this" to cause /var/cfengine to be setup (this is missing).
4. Test cfengine with this cfagent.conf (this is missing).
5. Install this basic update.conf/cfservd.conf (sort of documented on
cfengine.org).
6. Experiment.

Well, now I have a basic understanding of your problem :). I generally follow this procedure:
1.      Download package of cfengine
2.      Install package
3.      Put in config files (which I create somehow)
5.      Profit!

        (Well, ok, maybe not the last two :) ).

--
Tim Nelson