shupaza: Server Hardening via Cfengine

From: Christian Pearce
Subject: shupaza: Server Hardening via Cfengine
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2005 00:13:47 -0400 (EDT)

I put together some thoughts on a project for converting the Solaris Security Toolkit (SST) into a Cfengine implementation. I hope to learn how to create cfengine configurations that will plugin to existing cfengine configuration files or work standalone. I chose this existing body of work so we would not have to decide "what" the best practice is. The Solaris Security Toolkit project in Cfengine will benefit from a Cfengine since it can continue to check to make sure the SST policy is converged. After that I hope to have the convention and architecture defined to communicating other best practices via Cfengine. This way the community can start sharing their configs more.

http://www.pearcec.com/a_shupaza.php

For now I am reading the SST code. I admit I haven't done a lot of research to see what others have done to attempt this. I know there are a few Cfengine configuration projects out there. I intend to review and use them were applicable.

All input is appreciated. I will need people to write and test the code once I have written the architecture.

--
Christian Pearce
http://www.commnav.com