Re: list iteration, appending lists to lists?

From: Steve Wray
Subject: Re: list iteration, appending lists to lists?
Date: Thu, 11 Aug 2005 07:58:38 +1200

Mark Burgess wrote:
> This is just not the way variable expansion is defined. Iteration occurs
> only at specific locations.

Like in the target of a 'files' action?

Unfortunately, this doesn't work:

list_of_files = ( foo:bar:baz" )

file:
  $(list_of_files):anotherfile
    <directives>

Doesn't work with quotes either as in:

file:
  "$(list_of_files):anotherfile"

Unless there is some way of being able to manipulate lists directly in
cfengine, I guess I'll have to come up with some list-manipulating
modules, if I want to do this sort of thing.

A related question: is cfengine a first or second order language? Is it
 computationally general?

The old computer scientist/logicians question: "Is it possible to
express arithmetic in cfengine?"

--
"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing
it, and then misapplying the wrong remedies." - Groucho Marx