Running cfservd as a user other than root?

From: Dan Gilbert
Subject: Running cfservd as a user other than root?
Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 14:20:23 -0700

Good folks of the list --

Is it feasible to run cfservd as a user other than root?  Since it listens on port 5308, it should be possible, but I am uncertain as to what might break if cfservd were started and run as an unpriveleged (or less-priveleged) user.

I can see where the cfexecd needs to run as root, but I must be missing the point as to why the service daemon needs to run as root.

Thanks for any help, insight, ideas you can give me.

Dan

Dan Gilbert, GCIH
Sr. Systems Engineer
Advanced iTV Systems/Production Operations
Digeo, Inc.
dan.gilbert@digeo.com