Re: [h-e-w] Clicking on info menu item

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Clicking on info menu item
Date: 17 Sep 2001 05:50:51 -0500

On Friday, September 14, "Gurusami Annamalai" <address@hidden> wailed:
>I am using GNU Emacs 20.7.1 on Windows 98.  My
>problem is - in the info documentation menu, if I
>point to an info menu item and then click (I checked
>with left-click, right-click and middle-click)
>nothing is happening.

What is expected is mouse-2, which is (by default) the
middle button.  However, see variable
w32-swap-mouse-buttons.  You might want to try
changing the setting on this.

You can see what your mouse buttons are producing with
C-h k - describe-key.

I have two 3-button mice for which I never was able to
find a mouse driver which supports the middle button.
Since mouse-2 is more important, I did the switching
thing long ago.  With the Logitech mouse drivers (not
sure about MS drivers, but I think so also), the
combination of left and right pressed simultaneously
on these (treated as 2-button) mice comes through as a
simulated middle button - mouse-3 in my case.  You may
also want to use describe-key to see what a double
press produces for you.  (Assuming your w32-swap-
mouse-buttons variable is still nil, I am betting it
will be the mouse-2 event you are looking for.)

Hope this helps,
  David V.

PS - I recently acquired a cheap USB mouse which
implements the scroll wheel and a middle button that
does work, so I infer that my attempts to get the two
older 3-button mice to work were destined to fail.  I
usually do prefer the single key to a double press.
(However, somewhat oddly for Minesweeper, I can still
work faster using the double press technique -
probably because I keep the right button held down
most of the time and rarely use the left alone.  It
may be that I have just not had enough practice with
my 3-button mouse yet. :)