[h-e-w] Re: Some thoughts on using bash and cmd shells under emacs on Wi

From: Rafael
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Some thoughts on using bash and cmd shells under emacs on Win2k e tc.
Date: 15 Oct 2001 12:04:21 -0600

"Underwood, Jonathan" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've been playing about trying to find some way of using both cygwins bash
> and cmd.exe as shells under emacs, and the following points have arises. In
> an ideal world, it would be nice to have two functions, one to set the shell
> to cmd, the other to set it to bash. My motivation for doing this is that I
> use cygwin for programming, but also use MikTex for latex, and i find that
> if i set the shell to bash, then latex fails to function properly. Anyway,
> i'm going around in circles with it somewhat, so i thought i'd air what
> occurs to me here, and hope for any helpful comments :)

I was able to use MiKTeX with bash under NT Emacs installing AuCTeX and
modifying tex-mik.el to use appropriate quoting for bash.

I wonder what you mean by "latex fails to function properly". Cygwin
comes with teTeX, which still needs some files to work. Since I had a
working MiKTeX and didn't want to take the time to make teTeX work, I
just renamed the tex.exe, latex.exe and dvips.exe that came with
Cygwin.

Regards,

Rafael