Re: [h-e-w] showing international fonts in emacs on windows 2000

From: Andrew Innes
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] showing international fonts in emacs on windows 2000
Date: 16 Oct 2001 17:42:27 +0100

On Tue, 2 Oct 2001 13:32:54 -0400, "Masoud Pirnazar" <address@hidden> said:

> i'm trying to show arabic, hebrew, korean, and greek fonts in emacs 20.7. i
> installed the international fonts that come with windows 2000, and can show
> those languages ok in MsWord, MsIe, Notepad, and other applications, but
> haven't figured out how to show them in emacs.
>
> i installed mule and leim and looked in
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq5.html#windows-font, but
> couldn't figure out how to make fonts and input methods work.
>
> if anyone has done this on windows 2000, please let me know how.
>
> i don't mind if i see arabic and hebrew in the wrong direction, so long as i
> can see the characters.
>
> thanks.

Hi Masoud,

Emacs 20.7 can use at least some of the fonts you mentioned (I'm not
sure about Arabic, as I don't have that installed, but the others
definitely).  However, it doesn't automatically load the fonts for some
reason.  Eg. if I type C-h h to view the HELLO page after starting Emacs
with no init files, then only Latin1 chars are displayed.

I find that re-selecting the current font from the font selection dialog
(type S-mouse-1 to view) is enough to persuade Emacs to display other
languages for which it can find fonts.

Putting the following snippet in your .emacs should have the same effect
as re-selecting the current font:

  (set-default-font
    (create-fontset-from-ascii-font (cdr (assq 'font (frame-parameters)))))

This problem has been fixed in the forth-coming 21.1 version.

AndrewI