[h-e-w] help-echo

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: [h-e-w] help-echo
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2001 12:06:53 -0400 (EDT)

I find that I always want to disable the new help-echo feature.
I frequently copy files with dired.  The cursor is therefore on a file
name and interferes with the
Overwrite `c:/rmh/94.f01/1030.s'? [Type yn!q or C-h]
message.

The recent fix (between 104 and 105?) that restores the message after I
move the cursor helps, but isn't satisfactory.

I looked through the *info* and the lisp/ directory and didn't find any
obvious way.  Here is the hack I constructed

(defun help-echo-off ()
  "Turn off help-echo in dired buffer."
  (interactive)
  (toggle-read-only nil)
  (remove-text-properties (point-min) (point-max) '(help-echo nil))
  (toggle-read-only t))

(setq dired-after-readin-hook
      '(help-echo-off))

It works, but not well because I don't have the toggle-read-only quite right.

The solution I would really like is something like this
(defvar help-echo-p nil
 "Non-nil means display help-echo when the cursor is over mouse-face text.")

Can someone show me how to do that?

Thanks
Rich