[h-e-w] can NTEmacs (20 or 21) completely ignore Alt key?

From: Jonathan Epstein
Subject: [h-e-w] can NTEmacs (20 or 21) completely ignore Alt key?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 16:50:21 -0500

Hi,

I use an application (Dragon NaturallySpeaking 5) which insists upon entering
certain characters using an old DOS trick of holding down the Alt key and then
pressing a numeric key combination on the numeric keypad (not to be confused
with the numbers at the top of a regular keyboard).  For example, Alt-0034 is
used for a double-quote (").  Try this in WordPad ... it works.

Is it possible to either:

(a) get Emacs to entirely stay out of the way of the Alt key?  I realize that
things such as:

   (setq w32-pass-alt-to-system t)

are a step in the right direction, but are insufficient

OR

(b) write some Elisp to correctly interpret these keystroke combinations?

I'm currently using GNU Emacs 20.7, but am willing to switch to Emacs 21 if
this is more likely to solve this particular problem.

TIA,

-Jonathan

Jonathan Epstein                                address@hidden
Head, Unit on Biologic Computation              (301)402-4563
Office of the Scientific Director               Bldg 31, Room 2A47
Nat. Inst. of Child Health & Human Development  31 Center Drive
National Institutes of Health                   Bethesda, MD 20892