[h-e-w] gnu emacs-win32, won't run on win98se?

From: Richard Holt
Subject: [h-e-w] gnu emacs-win32, won't run on win98se?
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2001 18:28:29 -0400

gnu emacs-win32, still won't run for me on win98se?

I must be doing something wrong.
Tried serveral approaches, but not much luck getting Emacs to run on Latitude,
PII-300, 128mb, win98se.

For the third time                                      Renamed as below:
downloaded:     emacs-20.7-barebin-i386.tar.gz  ==>     emacs.tar.gz & emacs.tgz
                gunzip-1.2.4-i386.exe             ==>   gunzip.exe
                tar-1.11.2-i386.exe               ==>   tar.exe

Put all in c:\emacs, open Dos prompt, and then executed the following,
according to instructions:
   gunzip -c -d emacs.tar.gz | tar xvf -        ==>     OK

It created folders, c:\emacs\bin & \etc, filled them, and the Readme.w32
   run addpm.exe                        ==>     OK
   runemacs.exe, refuses to run, hangs up. Do Crtl-Alt-Del and
find Emacs in the list of running programs but no visible sign of life. Kill it
and reboot.

Read more instructions.

Added c:\emacs\lock, c:\emacs\term, and c:\emacs\lisp\term,  to no avail
Killed AVG antivirus, to no avail.
Tried emacs.exe, but it says it can't find "term\w32-win.el". I couldn't find
it either.
Check the Readme.w32 it says where, but I don't have win32-win.el, anywhere?

Then, booted SuSE 7.2, ungzipped and untarred into c:\emacs-20.7

Back to windows:
   ran addpm.exe from c:\emacs-20.7
   then runemacs.exe but still won't execute. neither will emacs.exe

Set the HOME environment variable to C:\EMACS\BIN.
Reboot, with same result.

Open DOS window, again, to do the whole installation, again, with the same
results.

Even went to try NotGnu Emacs but they seem to be out of business.

This started out as an exercise to learn Emacs while proofing
"An Introduction to Programming in Emacs Lisp"
Second Edition, for GNU Emacs 21 by Robert J. Chassell, Review copy
Seemed like a good idea, at the time.

So far, still using MetaPad in Unix mode. Not a good day with Emacs.
Hopefully, someone notices what I'm doing wrong.

Signed up for the newsletter.
Made a run at the archives. Found similar problems but the fixes haven't worked
for me.

No shortened file names. addpm.exe works.

regards,
Richard.