Re: [h-e-w] Problem building 21.1 under Cygwin on W98

From: Robert Marshall
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Problem building 21.1 under Cygwin on W98
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 09:06:27 +0000

On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Jerry van Dijk told this:

> Charles Curley writes:
>
>  > I was able to build Emacs 21.1 under Cygwin and W98.
>
> I did it using mingw32 tools and msvc on Windows ME. However,
> although it seem to run properly, I had a lot of windows crashes
> when I used it in my normal fashion (ie, have multiple frames open
> al the time, while running other programs). I've switched back to
> 20.7 for now.

I'm seeing this as well. My impression is that it seems to occur when
you have emacs and other programs uniconized and both are updating the
screen . I didn't see this with any of the pretests and my hunch is
that it has something to do with the display optimisations Andrew put
in shortly before the release

By windows crash - do you mean the session totally freezing rather
than a BSOD?

I'm now more careful about the applications I have uniconized at the
same time as emacs and it hasn't frozen...yet!

----
I'm still getting a replicable crash involving fonts, vm and popup
menus that I had with the pretests

Anyone else want to try starting with just this file (adjust vm path)
then M-x vm, go back to the original frame and try selecting a
bookmark (off the edit menu)?

;;; -*- emacs-lisp -*-

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/vm-6.95")

(setq rajm:def-font
      "-outline-Miriam Fixed-normal-r-normal-normal-13-97-96-96-c-80-iso8859-8")
(setq default-frame-alist
      (cons (cons 'font
                  rajm:def-font)
            (cons (cons 'cursor-color "red")
                  (cons (cons 'background-color "paleturquoise")
                        default-frame-alist))))

(setq vm-init-file nil)
;; em-crash is a small file so that it starts up quickly!
(setq vm-primary-inbox "~/Mail/em-crash")
(require 'recentf)
(recentf-mode 1)
(require 'vm)

Robert Marshall