RE: [h-e-w] gnu emacs-win32, won't run on win98se?

From: Kirkby, Peter M
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] gnu emacs-win32, won't run on win98se?
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 10:20:31 -0000

Hi Richard,

> gnu emacs-win32, still won't run for me on win98se?
>
> I must be doing something wrong.
> Tried serveral approaches, but not much luck getting Emacs to run on
> Latitude, PII-300, 128mb, win98se.
>
> For the third time                                    Renamed as below:
> downloaded:   emacs-20.7-barebin-i386.tar.gz  ==>     emacs.tar.gz &
> emacs.tgz
>               gunzip-1.2.4-i386.exe             ==>   gunzip.exe
>               tar-1.11.2-i386.exe               ==>   tar.exe
>
> Put all in c:\emacs, open Dos prompt, and then executed the following,
> according to instructions:
>    gunzip -c -d emacs.tar.gz | tar xvf -      ==>     OK
>
> It created folders, c:\emacs\bin & \etc, filled them, and the Readme.w32
>    run addpm.exe                      ==>     OK
>    runemacs.exe, refuses to run, hangs up. Do Crtl-Alt-Del and
> find Emacs in the list of running programs but no visible sign of life.
> Kill
> it and reboot.
>
> Read more instructions.
>
> Added c:\emacs\lock, c:\emacs\term, and c:\emacs\lisp\term,  to no avail
> Killed AVG antivirus, to no avail.
> Tried emacs.exe, but it says it can't find "term\w32-win.el". I couldn't
> find it either.
> Check the Readme.w32 it says where, but I don't have win32-win.el,
> anywhere?
>
> Then, booted SuSE 7.2, ungzipped and untarred into c:\emacs-20.7

<snip>
I have previously had problem for a while when the zero sized window
would come up, same symtoms as you, it was easier for me as I had a working
emacs that stopped. I solved it by first cleaning out autoexec.bat of emacs
reference stuff, then I had to tweak the registry entry, sorry it was over
a year ago and I can't remember the details.

BUT it did bring emacs back to life.

> No shortened file names. addpm.exe works.
>
> regards,
> Richard.

Regards,

Mike