Re: [h-e-w] can NTEmacs (20 or 21) completely ignore Alt key?

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] can NTEmacs (20 or 21) completely ignore Alt key?
Date: 05 Nov 2001 16:12:58 -0500

Jonathan Epstein <address@hidden> writes:

> <snip>
> Thanks for your response, Jason.  The requirements are that no
> additional keystrokes such as Cntl-Q can be issued.  Emacs must be
> able to detect the pressing and holding of the Alt-Key, the numeric
> keyboard's 0034 keys, and the release of the Alt-Key.

What is it you _want_ to have happen, when you type M-0034?

Why is it you can't just type "?

I guess Dragon Naturally Speaking will also monitor the key events,
and pronounce the character?

Do you want Emacs to then insert the corresponding character into the
current buffer?

> I don't know how to detect these events, but would appreciate input
> from anyone who does.

Just doing some testing, on my keyboard (Windows NT 4.0 SP3,
English/US), when I hit M-kp-0, Emacs says "M-kp-0 is undefined". If
you want to define the sequence M-kp-0 M-kp-0 M-kp-3 M-kp-4 to mean
"insert double-quote", that's pretty easy.

> Clarifications: I'm running W2K service pack 1.  Unfortunately, it
> appears that the left-alt key is being using by NaturallySpeaking ...

Do you mean Emacs does not see the left-alt key?

--
-- Stephe