[h-e-w] problems with find.*dired in emacs21

From: Wolter Bernd
Subject: [h-e-w] problems with find.*dired in emacs21
Date: 09 Nov 2001 13:39:10 +0100

I already asked this question on gnu.emacs.help where nobody could
help me and Eli Z. suggested asking here again before submitting a bug
report.

,----
| When trying to either do find-grep-dired or find-name-dired in
|
| "GNU Emacs 21.1.1 (i386-msvc-nt4.0.1381)\n of 2001-10-24 on
| SPARKYBEAR"
|
| using
|
| cygwin-b20 under winnt 4.0
|
| I get the following error:
|
| ,----
| |   find . \( -type f -exec grep -q something.* {} \;  \) -exec ls -ld {} \;
| |   /cygwin-b20/bash.exe: -c: line 1: syntax error near unexpected token `\\('
| |   /cygwin-b20/bash.exe: -c: line 1: `find . \\( -type f -exec grep -q find*
{} \\;  \\) -exec ls -ld {} \\;'
| `----
|
| It seems there are additional \s for \s added that weren't there in
| emacs20.4. If I throw the first line above directly at cygwin/bash it
| executes normally. I looked at the source and there is nothing there
| that indicates that there will be \-quoting added - so I guess it
| happens somewhere on the way through the regexp-engine.
`----

What I did in the meantime is check `shell-quote-argument' in
subr.elc:

nothing has changed there with regard to `system-type windows-nt', I
nevertheless replaced the version 21.1 subr.elc with the one that
worked for me in version 20.4: same error.

I then started emacs21.1 with -q --no-site-file and after evaling the
exec-path and the setup for bash: same error.

I only copied the bash-setup from someplace - is there something in
it that might cause the above behavior? Could any of the experts
perhaps have a look at it:

,----
|      (setq process-coding-system-alist (cons '("bash" . (raw-text-dos .
raw-text-unix))
|                                            process-coding-system-alist))
|      (setq using-unix-filesystems t)
|      (setq shell-file-name "bash.exe")
|      (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
|      (setq shell-command-switch "-c")
|      (setq archive-zip-use-pkzip nil)
|      (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\")   <-----
|      (setq w32-enable-italics t)               |
|      (setq comint-process-echoes nil)          |

I removed this line - nothing changed. ----------

Any other ideas?

TIA

bernd