[h-e-w] Font mixup.

From: Anders Lindgren
Subject: [h-e-w] Font mixup.
Date: 15 Nov 2001 09:50:31 +0100

Hi!

I just upgraded from Emacs 20 to 21 and realized that my favourite
font is no longer available.

Or rather, the font menu (Shift-Left Mouse Button) correctly finds it
and displays it as a correct sample.  However, whenever I selects it
emacs will reder itself using a totally different font.

The font in question is Terminal Regular of size 6, as returned by
w32-select-font:

"-raster-Terminal-normal-r-normal-normal-8-60-96-96-c-*-ms-oemlatin"

In addition, it seems like the system has somehow mixed up the
characteristics of the font. For example tab stops becomes much larger
than the font used for rendering.

A single tab stop *looks* like this (with tab-with set to 8):

012345678901234567890123456
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
            +--- This is one tab.

Another example is that (frame-parameters) seems to be way off.  it
claims that "width" is 88 characters where it in reality is 280 (or
somewhere around there depending on how much of the surrounding
context is included.)

Finally, the font I intended is a fixed with font and the font that is
used for rendering also seems to be of fixed width.

I'm running a standard NT4 system and I'm using the official pre-built
emacs 21.1 downloaded from a gnu.org mirror.

    -- Anders
--
;; .signature -- File added to the end of mail, containing joke or info.
(defvar me '((profession . "Compiler Designer") (company . "IAR Systems")