[h-e-w] Info not working when emacs started from Cygwin shell

From: Olivier . Jacquemin
Subject: [h-e-w] Info not working when emacs started from Cygwin shell
Date: Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:08:41 +0100

Hello,

I am using NT Emacs in collaboration with the Cygwin tools.  In particular,
I start Emacs from the Cygwin bash shell, with

$ emacs &

However, if I try to get help from within Emacs, using "info" for instance
"C-h i", Emacs tries to access a server using FTP.  This is the contents of
the "Messages" buffer when trying the above command:

Password for address@hidden:

Then I cancel the operation with "C-g" and get in the "Messages window":

ange-ftp-get-passwd: Quit

I do not have the same problem when I start Emacs "the Windows way" (Start
> Programs > GNU Emacs > Emacs): "info" works fine.

The problem is not related to my ".emacs" file, because it also occurs when
it does not exist.
I have the problem with versions 20.7 and 21.1.

Many thanks for your help, if possible !

     _Olivier_