Re: [h-e-w] migrating Outlook Express to gnus

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] migrating Outlook Express to gnus
Date: 02 Dec 2001 19:32:50 +0000

"Michael R. Wolf" <address@hidden> writes:

> I've just gotten gnus to work enough that I'm ready to make a
> migration.  Pointers please for the following information.
>
> -- message migration

Configure the Exchange server to allow IMAP.
this will give you
> automated pull in gnus
using the nnimap backend.

Alternatively POP3 can be used by both Outlook Express and Gnus, but
you then lose co-existance.

> -- address book migration

If it is a server based address book, enable LDAP on the server, and
use eudc in Emacs (comes with Emacs as of 21.1). Otherwise use BBDB in
Emacs (bbdb.sourceforge.net), but I am not sure if you can import from
Outlook yet (there is an export filter for outlook format included
BBDB 2.32 though).

> -- ongoing co-existance (pipe dream)

Not a problem for messages if you use IMAP, or for addresses if you
use LDAP, since in those cases everything is stored on the server.

--
Jason Rumney