[h-e-w] cygwin ispell and emacs 21.1

From: David Starks-Browning
Subject: [h-e-w] cygwin ispell and emacs 21.1
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 12:43:24 +0000

On Tuesday 4 Dec 01, Underwood, Jonathan writes:
> Hi
>
> I'm currently running emacs 21.1 under windows 2000 and am having trouble
> running ispell from within emacs. I am using ispell compiled and running
> under cygwin. When run thru' emacs, i get the error message "ispell exited
> with code 128". I have checked that ispell works correctly under a terminal
> window (bash -c ispell), and all is well. There's nothing unusual about my
> cygwin setup within .emacs:
>
>   (if (boundp 'w32-quote-process-args)
>       (setq w32-quote-process-args ?\"))
>   (setq shell-file-name "bash")
>   (setenv "SHELL" shell-file-name)
>   (setq explicit-shell-file-name shell-file-name)
>   (setq shell-command-switch "-c")
>   (setq explicit-bash-args '("--login" "-i"))

It doesn't quite match what is in the Cygwin FAQ entry "How do I run
bash as a shell under NT Emacs?".  If you don't mind, try what's in
the FAQ at <http://cygwin.com/faq/>, and let me know whether it works.
I would like to keep the FAQ entry accurate but I need other people to
try it for me.

Thanks,
David
(Cygwin FAQ maintainer)