Re: [h-e-w] A note for the FAQ

From: Mark R. Ludwig
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] A note for the FAQ
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 13:31:19 -0600

Peter Fraser wrote:

> The following added to the registry will add
> and an emacs menu item to every file menu in
> the explorer.
>
> REGEDIT4

Is that "4" meaningful?  I'm on Windows 2000, and only have "regedit" to
the best of my knowledge.

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell]

I had to create the above key.  Here on Win2K, there was only a
"shellex" key.

> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\emacs]
>
> [HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\*\shell\emacs\command]
> @="<where ever you have>\\gnuservw.exe \"%1\""

I'm using the above, substituting "gnuclientw" as appropriate.  I assume
that the "@=" are included in the String value.  Is that right?

I've tried this a couple of different ways, and I'm not getting this to
work.  The new "emacs" option appears on the context menu, but selecting
it yields only a pop-up error: "This file does not have a program
associated with it for performing this action.  Create an association in
the Folder Options control panel."  I'd attach an image of the pop-up,
but this group seems to like ASCII.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Mark
--
"Remember compliments you receive; forget the insults.  If you
 succeed in doing this, tell me how." - Mary Schmich via Baz Luhrmann