[h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?

From: Paul Kinnucan
Subject: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 23:36:47 -0500

Peter Davis writes:

 > I've been messing with gnus on and off for over a year, with emacs 19, 20,
 > and now 21.  I *still* can't get it to handle mail the way I'd like.  In
 > particular:
 >
 > 1) I can't get messages to print to a network printer.
 >
 > 2) I can't get it to leave mail on a POP3 server so I can read it from
 > multiple locations.  (I've read that epop3mail is able to do this, but I
 > have not gotten it to work.)
 >
 > 3) I can't get it to do the "right thing" with HTML mail, which would be to
 > allow me to either display it as plain text, or to open a browser (*not*
 > W3) to display it.
 >
 > Anyone had success with any of these?  I'm using gnus 5.8.8.
 >
 > Alternatively, can anyone suggest a good mail reader (MUA) for
 > Windows?  I'd love to use MH, but I don't know of any Windows port of that.

I'm a bit further down this path than you. I tried the gnus for news
and email route and hated it almost instantly. I now use the right
tool for the right job, namely gnus for news and vm for email. I
cannot recommend vm highly enough. It is a full-fledged email client,
with folders, attachments, and pop3 leave-on/delete-from server
capabilities. I use both these tools on Windows with Emacs. There are
a few tricks to using vm on Windows, including compiling the base64
encoder/decoder program that comes with the vm distribution. I'd be
glad to share the compiled encoder/decoder, which speeds up processing of
attachments significantly, and my .vm file, which embodies the things
I've learned, with anyone who's interested in getting vm running on
Windows. I also recommend subscribing to the vm newsgroup,
comp.emacs.vm.info, and using the Emacs-based contact management
program, bbdb, with vm, which allows you to add contacts directly
from your email, with a single keystroke.

- Paul