Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?
Date: 21 Dec 2001 18:08:26 -0800

On 21 Dec 2001, address@hidden wrote:
> Galen Boyer <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> > 3) UI is more like other mail readers.
>>
>> gnus-add-configuration is the function you should take a look
>> at.  My configuration at the moment looks like: (I'm trying
>> the longer summary buffer because the length of some subjects
>> gets wide)

>> |          SUMMARY                                      |
>> |                                                       |
>> |       |                                               |
>> | GROUP | | | ARTICLE |
>> |       |                                               |
>> | |-----------------------------------------------| BBDB | ||
>>
>> Yesterday, I had the configuration:

>> |       |                                               |
>> |       | SUMMARY                                       |
>> |GROUP  |------------------------------------------------
>> |       |                                               |
>> |       | ARTICLE                                       |
>> |       |                                               |
>> |       |                                               |
>> |       |------------------------------------------------
>> |       | BBDB                                          |
>

> Could you email me the relevant pieces that do this?  I'm
> intrested in digging into it, but would rather work from
> working code.

1)
(gnus-add-configuration
 '(article
   (horizontal 1.0
               (group 0.25)
               (vertical 1.0 (summary 0.16 point) (article 1.0) ("*BBDB*" 6))
               )))

2)
(gnus-add-configuration
 '(article
   (vertical 1.0 (summary 0.16 point)
             (horizontal 1.0 (group .25)
                         (vertical 1.0 (article 1.0) ("*BBDB*" 6)))
             )))

> Why do you have BBDB info up?

I like to know if I have an address for the person I'm reading a
post.  If I don't and I surmise that I do want to store their
address, I hit `:'.  I can also take notes on it by hitting `;'.
And, then since it is in view, I can always get to it immediately
as well.

> It seems to me that it adds less information than its real
> esatat is worth, especially since it's at the expense of the
> ARTICLE buffer.  Perhaps this may be useful, though it's
> probably not wide enough for BBDB info.

I find it useful.  I think your eye trains itself to look there,
but you always have access to the entry in view.

>  ---------------------------------------------------------
>  |       |                                               |
>  |       | SUMMARY                                       |
>  |GROUP  |------------------------------------------------
>  |       |                                               |
>  |       | ARTICLE                                       |
>  |BBDB   |                                               |
>

> How did you draw those picture?  By hand?

Yes.

--
Galen deForest Boyer