Re: [h-e-w] specifying international font problem in windows 2000

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] specifying international font problem in windows 2000
Date: 22 Dec 2001 11:26:07 +0000

Jaeyoun Chung <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi there,
> I've just subscribed this mailing list.
> Moving up to emacs 21, i happened to have this problem as a Korean
> windows 2000 user:
>
> M-x set-default-font and then trying and -ksc5601.1987 from *Completions*.
>
> The hangul (== Korean) font looks rotated 90 degrees counterclockwise,
> which *is* really odd.

If the name of the font starts with an '@' symbol, this is the same
problem that Chinese and Japanese users have already reported, and is
now fixed (you can use the CVS version of Emacs now, or wait for 21.2).

> Investigating the source code, the culprit is w32_to_x_font() and
> x_to_w32_font() in w32fns.c which converts string encoding via
> `w32-system-coding' which is set `iso-latin1' by default!

This is also fixed. In 21.2, w32-system-coding-system is initialized
from the locale, but you can set it in your .emacs now.

> Font name in windows 2000 is seemed to be represented as Unicode character.
> Thus the fontname string is encoded to emacs string and then decoded back
> to LOGFONT structure selected by user from *Completions*.
>
> The font is not found so the default font which is, strangely enough,
> "address@hidden" not "-rater-Fixed..." so the font looked rotated 90
> degrees.
>
> Adding 'Emacs.Font' registry which is described in faq5.html doesn't work
> at all. I've fix this problem by (setq w32-system-coding 'binary). But this
> is not the correct way, i guess.

If it works, use it; but you should probably remember to remove it
when you upgrade. You could also try

(if (and (eq emacs-major-version 21)
         (eq emacs-minor-version 1))
   (set-w32-system-coding-system 'korean-iso-8bit))

which might be more "correct" (and will automatically disable when you
upgrade).

--
Jason Rumney