Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?

From: Syver Enstad
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Gnus, anyone?
Date: 23 Dec 2001 09:25:35 +0100

address@hidden (Adam P.) writes:

> > Yes, trying to use a POP server as an IMAP server is definitely a
> > mistake.  However, in most cases that I'm aware of, the
> > leave-on-server feature is used only as a temporary measure, such as
>
> > when the user wants to read e-mail both at home and at work, but
> want
>
> > to have to have a complete repository in one place or another.
>
> That's exactly my case, so why not take advantage of a feature if
> it's there?

Hi Adam, I just took a quick peek on the gnus/pop3.el source.

It looks reasonably easy to hack it to get the behaviour you want.

The function that delete the mails look like this:
(defun pop3-dele (process msg)
  "Mark message-id MSG as deleted."
  (pop3-send-command process (format "DELE %s" msg))
  (pop3-read-response process))

A nice and terrible hack would be to do like this.

In .emacs
(setq hack-leave-mail-on-server t)

(defun pop3-dele (process msg)
  "Mark message-id MSG as deleted."
  (if (hack-leave-mail-on-server)
        nil
      (pop3-send-command process (format "DELE %s" msg))
      (pop3-read-response process)))

I have not tried this, but it looks like it should work (for what that
it is worth ;-)

--

Vennlig hilsen

Syver Enstad