Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?

From: Karel Sprenger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Gnus, anyone?
Date: 23 Dec 2001 21:23:52 +0100

Hi,

>>> On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 09:11:29 +0100, Karel Sprenger (ks) wrote:
ks>
ks> Hi Yigal,
ks> As I wrote, I have been trying to get it to work with emacs 21 by
ks> dropping the two defalias lines in epop3hash.el. This almost works
ks> except for biff.el which does something that is incompatible with the
ks> now builtin gethash function.  As I don't use biff, I thought this
ks> wouldn't matter much, but I then found that the mail-source function in
ks> gnus gets confused.  As soon as I have a working solution I'll post it
ks> to this group.
ks>

Sice yesterday I have a working gnus 5.9.0/epop3mail 0.9.9.5 solution (with w3
disabled as per Bill Pringlemeir's instructions earlier this week).  The only
part that isn't working is biff, but I don't use that.  The corrections needed
were very simple really:

 + epop3hash.el defined aliases for the functions gethash and puthash, but
   since emacs 21.1 these are built-in and can't be aliased anymore.  Except
   for the code in biff.el, the rest of epop3mail 0.9.9.5 works as before with
   the defalias statements commented out.
 + pop3.el didn't think emacs 21 would ever come about and also it didn't use
   the fact that read-passwd is in subr.el since emacs 20.

The file http://paddington.ic.uva.nl/public/ep3m0995.tar.gz contains the
patched version, the patches applied to the code in epop3mail 0.9.9.5 as found
in http://paddington.ic.uva.nl/public/ep3m0995.zip, plus the contents of my
.emacs and .gnus files (as far as gnus and mail is concerned).  See the file
README.TXT in the tar.gz file.

As I wrote in this README.TXT file: Of course, it would be best to incorporate
epop3mail functionality in gnus itself, but I don't have the time right know
to look into it.

Anyway, enjoy your X-mas and my best wishes to you all for 2002.

Cheers,
Karel

--
Karel Sprenger