Re: [h-e-w] plink ntemacs21 woes

From: Tom Roche
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] plink ntemacs21 woes
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2002 17:20:24 -0500

<address@hidden> Tue, 1 Jan 2002 15:09:33 +0530
> I'm unable to get plink working from within Ntemacs. I get the
> following lines in plink/messages buffer

| Unable to open connection:
| Connection refused
| Process plink-sivaramn@<hostname> exited abnormally with code 1

| ---
| let: Symbol's function definition is void: telnet-mode

> I followed the instructions put up by Tom Rosche on his website with
> the lisp code added to my _emacs file. I'm able to do a telnet thru
> putty but not thru plink in emacs.

I've also noticed this problem with newer versions of 'plink'. I have
intended to bring this matter to the attention of the PuTTY folks
(e.g. via

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/feedback.html

) but I haven't had time. (I've been looking for work.)

My suggestions are:

* Try using the Cygwin SSH instead. My plink work was only intended as
  a workaround for boxes on which one couldn't install Cygwin. Can you
  do this? For more assistance, see Mark Hershberger's instructions

  http://mah.everybody.org/docs/tramp-on-nt

  and also search the tramp archive

  http://www.geocrawler.com/lists/3/SourceForge/15302/0/

  for posts regarding Cygwin.

* Try working with the PuTTY folks to fix plink. It would be very nice
  to have a working non-Cygwin (esp MinGW) way to do tramp from NT/2k.

* Try posting to the Tramp list (this is CCed), which has listfolk
  experienced with these issues on many platforms (including M$).

HTH, address@hidden