Re: [h-e-w] mailcap file and filename/type associations for Windows 95

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] mailcap file and filename/type associations for Windows 95
Date: 04 Jan 2002 22:14:02 +0000

Stephen Leake <address@hidden> writes:

> Since I often get Word documents, and I can't tell from the outside
> whether they have macro viruses, forcing me to save them instead of
> opening them directly adds no security.

Some virus checkers trigger off the saving of files with particular
extensions. But I guess the temp file generated by Emacs when you
open them "directly" has the correct extension, so you might be safe
anyway.

I wasn't saying don't EVER do that, but I don't recommend it in
general unless you understand exactly what is happening and where the
risks are. I like to give known safe advice to users whose technical
knowledge I don't know, and let them decide for themselves to up
the risk factor.

--
Jason Rumney