Re: [h-e-w] Gnus + NNTP + SSL?

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Gnus + NNTP + SSL?
Date: 18 Jan 2002 21:19:16 -0800

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, address@hidden wrote:

> Yes, I knew it wouldn't be that easy...my stupid
> ISP allows outside news group access (like from
> work) but through an SSL/NNTP server...
>
> I was hoping somebody would've already figured
> things out under NT and had it working!....I went
> through some of the initial steps...(I already
> had ssl.el since I have W3)....even then I figure
> it might be dog slow running SSL...

>From the info section NNTP;

`nntp-open-connection-function'
     This function is used to connect to the remote
     system.

     [...]

    `nntp-open-ssl-stream'
          Opens a connection to a server over a "secure" channel.  To
          use this you must have SSLay installed
          (`ftp://ftp.psy.uq.oz.au/pub/Crypto/SSL', and you also need
          `ssl.el' (from the W3 distribution, for instance).  You then
          define a server as follows:

               ;; Type `C-c C-c' after you've finished editing.
               ;;
               ;; "snews" is port 563 and is predefined
               ;; in our /etc/services
               ;;
               (nntp "snews.bar.com"
                     (nntp-open-connection-function
                       nntp-open-ssl-stream)
                     (nntp-port-number "snews")
                     (nntp-address "snews.bar.com"))

You use this function in your
gnus-secondary-select-methods.  So, without testing
(I don't have ssl issues), it would look like so:

(add-to-list 'gnus-secondary-select-method
             '((nntp "snews.bar.com"
                     (nntp-open-connection-function
                       nntp-open-ssl-stream)
                     (nntp-port-number "snews")
                     (nntp-address "snews.bar.com"))))

You have the ssl.el, so try the above and see how
it goes.

--
Galen deForest Boyer