RE: [h-e-w] gnuclientw.exe

From: Sprenger, Karel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] gnuclientw.exe
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 21:23:03 +0100

Hi,

I had trouble with the expansion of %1 in NT4 and used %L (which
expanded to the long file name).  Under W2K %1 expands to the long file
name.  Be sure to enclose either %1 or %L in double quotes in the
registry entry.  The same holds for file type associations.

Just experimented with IE 5.5 in W2K and found that the following
settings work with gnuclient and emacs 21.1:

-----8<-----
REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\htmlfile\shell\Edit\command]
@="C:\\emacs\\bin\\gnuclientw.exe -q -F \"%1\""

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Default HTML
Editor\shell\edit\command]
@="C:\\emacs\\bin\\gnuclientw.exe -q -F \"%1\""

The key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\View
Source Editor\Editor Name] seems to accept a single file name only.
Parameters and things like "%1" confuse IE and cause it to complain (and
start up Notepad).

It certainly is puzzling.

Cheers,
Karel