Re: [h-e-w] etags problem!

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] etags problem!
Date: 25 Jan 2002 09:50:03 -0500

Yunbiao Wang <address@hidden> writes:

> Hi,
> I have asked for help on how to create etags on matlab
> files. I have gotten to answers. Thanks!
>
> Since I do not have Bourne shell on window,

This is easily fixed; install Cygwin
(http://sources.redhat.com/cygwin/)

> I decide to use etage to create the tags file. However, no matter
> how hard I tried, etags keeps generating error message. I am using
> emacsNT ver. 20.7. The following are the message and command I have
> tried. Can anyone help me to find out the problem and how to fix it?
> I suspect that etags has bugs!
>
> <snip>
>
> Since it is too long to debug the previous command, I
> decide to try a short one:
>
> E:\ywang\AECMATLAB>etags --language=none --regex=/^[
> ]function/ *.m

It's hard to tell if this posting got mangled, but you seem to have a
newline in the regex string. This is probably being seen as the end of
the command line by the DOS command line parser, so it sees "/^[" as
the regex, which is unterminated, and then it sees the command
"]function/", which is invalid.

Try putting the regex in quotes, and use "\n" for the newline.

--
-- Stephe